IS MOLD DANGEROUS?

Statewide : 1-844-MOLD -PRO

OKLAHOMA CITY 405-577-6800      LAWTON 580-           TULSA 918-521-3646

The honest answer is it depends.  We've all heard the horror stories, seen things on the internet, news, or perhaps you heard it from your cousins- nephews- friends- roommate. On the other hand we've been told to just spray some bleach or vinegar on it.  


Mold  is omnipresent, it's everywhere.  There are over 100, 000 different kinds of mold.  Some are known to be harmful and others just "allergens".  However, anytime a human has an adverse reaction to a mold, that mold would then be harmful to humans.  Penicillium (penicillin) is thought of as being "helpful" but, there are some people are severely allergic to it requiring trips to the ER.  With that being said, let's define what we are really concerned about.  Water Damage/ Excess Humidity/ Mold. 


Mold needs 3 basic ingredients:

Food source (anything that is organic and porous.)

Temperatures usually above 60 degrees. 

Moisture (either direct water contact or 60% and above Humidity)


The first 2 ingredients we can do little about since almost everything in our world is organic and porous, and we kinda like it above 60 degrees also.  So Moisture is the BIG problem.  All Government and Health Agencies agree that we should not live in a wet and moldy environment.  Any mold growing in our indoor environment especially where we eat and sleep is not a good thing.  Let's take a logical look at mold in our homes and work places.


At work the roof leaks, the ceiling tiles are sagging and the a black fuzzy spots starting to show up.  "OMG BLACK MOLD!" "BURN THE BUILDING DOWN!"  If you feel this way it is because someone scared you and gave you false information.  First, the "DEADLY TOXIC BLACK MOLD" you are scared of occurs in nature.  If you have ever been down to the pond or at the lake and there is that one tree limb down in the water and it has that brownish- black slime on it,  Well that my friend is Stachybotrys the "DEADLY TOXIC BLACK MOLD".


According to the most recent data the spores are not aerodynamic and are too big to make it into the lungs.  Basically it is not an inhalation hazard but is an ingestion hazard.  As the tale goes, some farmers had some hay sitting in a puddle of water and they fed it to some cows who ate it of course and died a horrible toxic death.  Upon investigation farmer 1 says "here's what probably kill them cows, this black slimy mold." farmer 2 responds with that's the "DEADLY TOXIC BLACK MOLD."  Fast forward a few years and there was some flooding that took place in the Dallas, TX area and they had found Stachybotrys mold.  They got scared and began burning the houses down.  That was back in the late 70's to early 80's. We know a lot more about what the different molds are and how they function in the environment.


Now back to that fuzzy mold on the ceiling tiles; it can be any one of a few hundred different molds.  A mold typically thought of as just an allergen has been creating quite a stir in the medical fields. *According to a recent study conducted by a medical student from Manchester University in the United Kingdom, approximately 50 percent of cystic fibrosis patients are also infected by the Aspergillus fungus, which is caused by an exposure to mold. Researcher Jo Armstead analyzed data from 30 different countries and found that there are over 75,000 people who are both afflicted with CF and who also suffer from an Aspergillus fungal infection, with more than half of those patients being over the age of 18. The research was conducted during the summer of 2013.  


There are of course certain persons who are allergic to mold are more at risk, but there are other groups in a risk category: persons over the age of 65 or under the age of 5, women that are pregnant or breast feeding, and anyone with a reduced or compromised immune system.


So to recap,the answer to the question is it depends on a number of factors.  If you have any questions please give us a call 405-577-6800 we will be happy to help.